Technology is supposed to make life easier. But it seems like every time we turn around there’s a new, complicated piece of technology that makes our lives more difficult! I’ve been using Gmail for years and never really had any issues with it until recently when my email started to be consistently delayed by hours or sometimes days. I tried everything from rebooting my computer, deleting cookies, even making sure the date on my phone was correct! When none of these things worked all I could do was start searching for help online. It turns out that what I needed to do was change my Gmail password so that it would sync up with the one on my phone properly – but there were no instructions anywhere in Gmail itself about how to do this!
The last thing I want to do is call a tech support person and have him or her walk me through the steps – so here are some ways that you can change Gmail email without phoning anyone.
Easiest Way to Change Gmail Email
- Under “Settings” in your browser, go to “Gmail.” Click on Accounts and then click Change Password. Type in your current password and then type in a new one twice.
- On your phone, go to Settings > Accounts & passwords (or Accounts). Sign out of Gmail by clicking on the account name at the top right corner of the screen and selecting “Sign out.” Then sign back in with your old email address/password or create an entirely new Gmail account.
- On your phone, go to Settings > Mail Accounts & Sync and tap on the Gmail account you want to change. Tap “Delete Account” at the bottom of the screen to delete it so that you can set a new password without being asked for any other information. Then create a new Gmail account with a different email address and password.
- Ensure that your phone is connected to the internet. Go to Gmail login in Safari on an iPhone and check for any notifications about waiting emails. Tap “Resync” under Waiting Mail at the bottom of the screen if there are any, then tap Done when you’re finished.
- On a Mac, go through System Preferences > Internet Accounts (or Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars) and select Gmail. Click on “Offline” under the Sign In the section at the bottom of the screen to turn it off if you’re not using Gmail in Safari or another browser.
- If all else fails, go back into Settings (on your phone), tap Accounts & passwords (or Accounts), select the Gmail account that you want to change, and tap “Clear Data.”
- Type “help” in the Gmail search bar and select Mail to get instructions on how to change your email address or reset a forgotten password.
- Go to the Google Help Center page for Gmail.
- Go to YouTube and search “How do I change my email on Gmail?”
- Visit the Gmail Accedi page for help.
- Contact Google Support, see if they can fix your email issues over the phone.